Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Hey you, Juju

This is my Juju doll that I got in New Orleans. I was going to get a voodoo doll too, but I decided that for now, this was good. She's inspired by African roots and Christian beliefs and the little quote that came with her says " If you want to feel protected from things that bring you harm, close your eyes, make a wish, and hold close this little charm." Lately, I've felt as though I need protection. From all this stress, the piles of homework, the daydreams run amuck, the worrying I do (usually uncessary). So every morning when I make my bed (okay, not every morning, but nearly every morning when I make my bed) I put the doll on my pillow to remind myself that sometimes, things are out of my control. To worry is futile. It'll all unfurl some way or another.
I really miss Louisiana right now. I always go through withdrawals after coming back, but this time it is especially bad. I suppose it's because I spent so much time away from my phone and computer and just focused on laughing over boiled crawfish and catching up with shrimp poboys. Yeah...most of the memories involve food of some kind, but I would expect no less of Cajun country.
I keep thinking about Philosophy and what we discussed on the topics of love. The two theories we studied deemed love either a desire to merge on three different levels (practical, physical, and pyschological) or a drive that humans feel produced by three nuerotransmitters to find a mate (which usually has a shelf life of 3-4 years, apparently). It made this emotion that I've questioned and felt and harbored seem so black and white and I hate that. I want to think love is ambiguous and crazy and different for everyone. I don't want to believe that I love someone purely because my brain gets a dose of dopamine or serotonin everytime I see them based on their symmetry or their ability to produce offspring. Ugh. I'm just rambling right now.
I'm quite tired and I have some good blog post thoughts, but right now I'm just waiting on Reid to get over here to watch some True Blood...so I'm going to deuce out.

No comments:

Post a Comment