There is something very
calming about knowing that the seasons are finally changing. I can already feel
summer being swept out of the house like particles of dirt from the bottom of
muddy soles, remnants of a beautiful experience that must nudge away from the
world to make way for new memories in a season that is as fresh and crisp as
the dry leaves she brings.
Don’t get me wrong—I had one
incredible summer. I remember just a few months ago, getting nervous about
heading back to work at Disney World. What if everything was different? What if
I could not remember how to do the job that had started to haunt my dreams? (Literally-
my roommate said that I would shoot up in my bed, yelling “Pull up on your lap bar!”)
But I returned to Florida, and, as every single one of my friends predicted, I
could barely pull myself away to come back to Arkansas. In fact, I probably
could have been convinced to stay, transfer and all, just by looking at my best
friend’s face as we talked into the night about everything, or by gazing at
that big beautiful roller coaster of a mountain, all lit up and framed by the
stars. Sleeping on a couch didn’t faze me. I mean, it may have hurt my back a
little bit. And it made me appreciate my real bed so much more. But summer is
over, and while I sometimes still cling to those memories, I know that God has
so much more in store for me.
And autumn is the perfect
season to introduce me back into the real world. This weekend, we had our coldest
temperatures yet, and you better believe I strutted out of the house in a
flannel shirt and boots. My entire house smells like I imagine heaven to smell—all
pumpkin spice-y—and I cannot wait to start doing my homework on the patio with
a blanket around my shoulders, watching the wind bully the fallen leaves around
the yard and the sky pull its dark shades over the day so much earlier than in
the summertime.
The more I think about the
changing seasons, the more I think about the changing me. I took some time
(procrastination, really, from my Minority Literature take-home midterm) and
read my old blogs. I was amazed to read how tentative I sounded sometimes, at
least in regards to life. After this summer, I feel beyond ready to grab Life
with my bare hands and just shake him until my future falls out like a bunch of
stars from the sky, a little scathed, but leaping with anticipation in my warm
palms. I want so many things, and I’ve somehow gained the courage to go after
them. I’m not sure when it struck, but when I think of Confident Brittany, I
think of her being born at Big Thunder Mountain Railroad in clunky Timberland
boots and a half-smile on my face as I hum the instrumental version of Old
Yeller playing in the station, waving to the guests as a train pulls in. And
now I’m back and I’m so open to change. I want to backpack across Europe. I
want to study abroad, maybe at Oxford. Because what’s it going to hurt to
apply? I want a puppy to train impeccably (his name shall be Gatsby). I want to
meet people who will open my mind up to new possibilities, peel back the layers
of remaining insecurity and just plant little seeds of happiness there. I want
to write and travel, write and travel, write and travel. (To quote Mumford & Sons' new song, "I'm a hopeless wanderer!") Finish this dang novel
that consumes my whirring mind as I try to sleep.
But for now, I’m going to take
baby steps. Like the changing seasons, not everything can happen all at once. I’ve
joined a sorority, a decision that has proven to keep me both busy and happy. I’ve
made new friends. I’ve changed my favorite Star Wars movie from Return of the Jedi to The Empire Strikes Back (I know, I know—all
those years of bickering…). And most of all, I’ve become happy with myself and
the way I’m choosing to both plan my life, but remember that there is someone
else helping me out too, and no matter what happens, God will make sure that
everything will be okay. I learned that the first time after leaving Disney.
The hard way…but that’s okay.
Okay. Rambling time over. I
miss blogging sometimes! I’m not sure who reads it anyway, but as a writer,
every outlet counts.
As for the autumn, I hope
everyone enjoys it. Those leaves don’t stay fiery forever, and the wind turns a
little too bitter after a while. But that just means we have something else to
look forward to- fall’s sister, beautiful,
glorious winter. : )
Awesome, like really, awesome. I'm glad I finally got to read something that you've written. I'm sure your novel is going to be amazing when it's finished.
ReplyDeleteLove this. Your description of fall makes me imagine it how it should be but isnt here, I liked seeing the different shades of treese while on my trip! I hope you can see all of the places you want to see, maybe I can too someday. I am a hopeless wanderer too but I dont think there's anything wrong with that! Love you.
ReplyDelete